Sunday, January 18, 2009

Help!

A wise friend was holding my little 2 day baby in her arms when she said, "Make sure you start giving her a bottle a day so you can have a little freedom." Give my newborn a bottle? When she had barely learned to nurse? No, thank you. My baby needs ME to feed her, not some bottle. I have some 'got-to-be-needed' issues. (I am not one of those crazed Leche Ladies or whatever, but I am pro-nursing. Nursing may not be right or even possible for everyone, but it is something I have chosen to do.) Anyway... So here I am, almost five months later. It would be nice to get away for more than just an hour or two without worrying my head off about if my baby and her caretaker are okay. I'm noy wanting to give up nursing just yet, but an option would be nice. Everyday for the past two weeks, I try a bottle. I pump (every time), I try different nipples, different bottles, a different time of day, warmer, colder, etc., etc. Each time she even sees the bottle now, it's instant screaming, fussing, crying, and tears galore. It's like she thinks I'm trying to poison her! I try to calm and coax her, but pretty soon I add my own tears to the mix and fail yet again. Any suggestions out there for me?
signed: Miss shoulda, coulda, but didn't and now am suffering for it

6 comments:

Brandon,J'lene, Kamiah,Braelyn, Chelsea, Aussie said...

Not that I am a pro or know much but, I dealt with the same problem and my friend gave me a suggestion that made sense and seemed to work okay. That is... pump but not you feed her, have dad or grandma someone other then you and at first don't be in the same room or at least not in eyes view, because she knows mommy and that mommy's the one to feed her. Maybe you have tried it, but that is my only suggestion. Good luck let me know how it goes!!

Jeralyn Petterson said...

Start breastfeeding her then hurry and stick the bottle in her mouth. When she figures it out breastfeed her again, then when she gets going put the bottle back in. Just a suggestion. The bottle is a big help. Good luck.

I know, I know, I should be doing homework but I needed a little break.

Ryan,Katie,Grey said...

I felt the same way and tried the same thing and nothing worked for me either. I'm sorry! I wish I could give you advice, but I don't have any. I just want you to know, I've been there and I know how you're feeling. Good luck!

Hey, I might be able to come see ya on Thursday morning. Would that work for you?

Hills House said...

I don't have a clue about this stuff! All I can say is hang in there and be thankful you get to spend the time with her. Averee never did get the hang of nursing and I wish we could of done it longer. Probably not the advice you wanted to hear, sorry! Hang in there Kali.

Garn Family said...

Okay- so for sure you won't get any brilliant advise from me cause you know I am totally about nursing- but HATE doing it! Sad to say but I am probably the opposite and should never have started giving Jake one bottle of formula a day because everyday I get more and more tempted to stop nursing. But I know I need to stick with it just a little longer. So maybe feel better knowing that you are one of 'the few, the brave, the strong', that stick with it from start to finish. :) All I can say is good luck and if you need a Dr. Pepper to help get you through it let me know!
You do an awesome job!

Carolyn said...

Letting someone else feed her is definitely a good idea. When they see you, they want the "real" thing. I just left the room and let Shaun feed him - it seemed to work the best. Tyler would only take Avent bottle nipples. I had tried several other brands before and they didn't work. Give them a try if you haven't already. You're a great mom! Good luck!

Hey, it was great talking to you the other day. Did you ever get Crae back into his diaper? :)